Monday, May 4, 2009

Livin' the Dream

Since retiring from being a Granny Nanny last month due to Sean's new job as Mr. Mom (see link to his new blog above) I’m enjoying the life of a gadabout:

- Sun. pm to Tues. aft in Osky due to Dad’s heart arrhythmia episodes, where Dad and I agreed that decrepitude sucks; visited Cal and Diane



- Wed. and Thur. went along with Steve to Sioux City where Dianne picked me up. Saw the magnificent changes in their resort. A highlight was getting a haircut from Krista, first cut in 10, maybe 15 yrs!!!



- Fri. thru Sun. I was at a seminar in Schuyler, Ne.

- this week I’m off to Mn with Steve Wed. to Sun. (at Anne and Dan’s the weekend)

My PD symptoms worsened in early March; I am more clumsy, things take longer to do, I take more breaks. Steve has stepped up to the plate and started helping with stuff like folding laundry. My 6 month check-up is in July when my drugs will most likely be increased. I managed to get some transplanting done before our 3+” of rain a week ago.

I am participating in PD research courtesy of the Michael J. Fox Foundation via a $400 genotyping (from my saliva) kit for just $25.

This is some info from the website: https://www.23andme.com/pd/:

You can help us revolutionize the way Parkinson's research is conducted. Parkinson's is a complex disease with both genetic and environmental components. Just a few years ago, genes were thought to have little influence on Parkinson's disease. But now a growing number of Parkinson's-causing mutations are being discovered.

We currently provide four kinds of ancestry analysis. One, Maternal Ancestry, traces your maternal lineage back through time from you to your mother, her mother, and all the way to the mother of all humans. Paternal Ancestry does the same for your paternal* lineage, tracing from you back to the father of all fathers. A third, Ancestry Painting, tells you where in the world each stretch along each of your 22 autosomal pairs is likely to have come from. The last, Global Similarity, assesses your relatedness to 10 regions that include more than 50 populations worldwide, as measured by the similarity of your DNA to people from those groups.

FYI: Michael J. Fox, Adventures of an Incurable Optimist airs May 7 on ABC.

Today I hope to bask in the nice temps working on flowerbeds, gadding about the yard.

As it turns out, decrepitude's upside can be slowing down enough to enjoy the present moment.

Aaaaaahhhh.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Where's the after picture?